I just had a telephone conversation with historian, Gerard Besson, who made it equivocal that Freetown is not Belmont. He explained that it is a colloquial term used by the freed Africans to loosely describe the location in which they settled after the 1840's. Besson said Freetown is from the stretch of lower Piccadilly street to Queen and Prince Streets.
Meanwhile, Khafra was not opposed to Belmont being called Freetown; in addition to Belmont he also referred Freetown being within the vicinity of Besson St. Now this conflict of information indicates how Trinidad's history is poorly recorded and a documentary like this is needed to educate our society.
Sadly, the musical group Freetown Collective was so named because of the so called Freetown history affiliated with their hometown Belmont. I wonder how would those members feel knowing otherwise. Or perhaps I should include them in the interview; food for thought.
Besson has asked for me to call him on Monday to set up a date for the interview.
The plan is to get Michael Anthony to do an interview. Also a Pschier family member will be interviewed this Sunday. Pauline Phillip of Citizens for Conservation has asked for a list of the interview questions so she can be better prepared. I promised that it would be ready by the weekend.
Sly.
No comments:
Post a Comment