Monday, 20 January 2014

Further Research: Discovering the Unknown

After doing extensive research, I think we need to provide more information on slaves in Trinidad. Documentaries have been provided on these colonial houses, with little perspective from the African Community, since they were the ones to pour their sweat and blood into building these colonial structures, with no acknowledgement. Therefore I would like to highlight the history of individual slaves, such as 

"ZuZule who was a domestic slave and nanny in the household of Henri de Boissiere in Maraval... She bore her master four children-two sons and two daughters- and lived to a ripe old age well into the 1890s as the ‘matriarch’ of the coloured branch of the De Boissière family which counted among its descendants, the first Prime Minister, Dr. Eric E. Williams who was the great-grandson of Zu Zule." 

 The challenge is that  information on slaves is not documented as much as the colonialist, therefore it will require extensive research, but I am up to the challenge.


I am hoping to interview Khafra Kambon, leader of the Emancipation Support Committee (ESC) as well as Historian Carl Campbell. I really want to push the envelope since too many times we glorify colonialists who give "His-Story" which may not be the "echt story." Sadly the secondary level school history was misleading and remote from the truth. Note:While I do want to highlight the colonial edifices and the characters behind the men who owned these structures, I also want to  resurrect slaves out of the "yus massa" era and into a liberated 21st century, where they can freely speak of their experiences (exploitation, trials,  and persecutions) through these historians.

I will do research on some of Kafra's and Carl's books, so that I can ask them sensible questions. I will keep you posted with this progress. Oh P.S. Lorraine and I will be going to the National Archives on Wed to do some research. Check out the pic of a COLOURED NURSE AND WHITE CHILDREN In TRINIDAD CIRCA 1885. 





Sly!




No comments:

Post a Comment